Junior Software Engineer
Apply until 10.11.2021
At Kopo Kopo, we believe in making it simpler for businesses to operate. That’s been our goal since 2012 when we partnered with Safaricom to bring Lipa Na Mpesa Buy Goods service to SME’s throughout Kenya. While we remain true to helping thousands of businesses to accept digital payments, our efforts have not stopped there. We have gone a step further to understand the challenges that would stop that entrepreneur who runs a boutique, restaurant, or bookstore from growing. We get these insights through listening to our customers and use the feedback to build better products that make it truly simple for any business to run, grow and succeed.
About the role
Your primary responsibility will be working on the Kopo Kopo software suite that spans web, mobile, USSD and SMS. This is a hands-on software development role. It will encompass all aspects of the software development life-cycle working with a small engineering team and demands a high understanding of application design and architecture.
- You will work with the Engineering team in developing the whole suite of Kopo Kopo products and should be comfortable working independently without supervision and you are also a strong collaborator within a team setting.
- You love to code.
- You will be a major contributor to the Agile Software Methodology which we use at Kopo Kopo. You are able to communicate professionally and effectively.
- You can work with various stakeholders on integrations that will require involvement in all aspects of the software development cycle from requirement analysis to implementation
- You should be comfortable with system architecture and component design and be able to use design patterns.
- You should be able to develop features across multiple subsystems within complex applications by collaboration during requirements definition, designing, coding, testing and deployment. Participate with engineering, operations and business teams to define plans for scaling, enhancing and standardizing our products.
- Have experience in building data-driven applications using significant relational database engines as part of the application architecture.
- Document proposed solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams etc. Ruby experience / knowledge a plus but more premium is placed on your ability to learn new technologies fast.
- Be able to operate in an agile, fluid environment wearing ‘multiple technological hats’. Demonstrate success at having been able to ‘ship’ products individually or as part of a team. You need to be able to get things done.
- Our stack is a primarily Ruby on Rails stack so Ruby knowledge is a plus
The salary range for this role is KSh 120K 140K p.m. There are numerous opportunities for your learning and development. Our amazing medical cover includes provisions for optical and dental
services. We offer fully paid parental leave. We love to have fun so we hope to have a drink with you or just hang out at #FormniFriday
If you meet the requirements email your resume, salary requirements and recent examples of your work (e.g. a link to GitHub profile, Stack Overflow user profile and/or a portfolio of completed projects) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your email. Please expect a technical evaluation as part of our interview process.